The Smith's Tavern Educational Complex is funded 100% by donations and staffed 100% by volunteers. Without volunteers we cannot continue the service we provide to the community.
Volunteering with the North Castle Historical Society is fun! It's an opportunity to meet new friends, experience history first-hand, and be of service to the community. The Historical Society is always looking for dedicated volunteers to help out in a number of areas. Some require a specific time commitment while others are open ended. Some require specialized skills while others are simple and unstructured. Please contact us if you can help with any of the following:
- Smith's Tavern Educational Complex Docent - we are open Wednesday and Sunday afternoons from 2-4 and need people to greet visitors, answer questions and give a tour of the complex. We will train you!
- Writing - we publish newsletters and an annual publication and need help writing articles
- Mailing Labels - some of our mailings still go by snail-mail and need to have envelopes stuffed, sealed and labels put on
- Exhibits - we would like to do more exhibits throughout the year. They don't have to be elaborate but they should tell a story and pique interest in further research
- Strong Backs - the old buildings in the complex always need maintenance and if we don't have volunteers to do it we have to hire people to do the work
- Fundraisers - the society hosts a fundraiser once a year and can always use an extra hand organizing, getting sponsors, selling tickets, setting up and cleaning up.
- Colonial Crafts Days - several times a year large groups of school children come to the Complex to learn about Colonial history. This is a huge undertaking that requires organization, set up, demonstrations of crafts (we will train you!), and clean up.
- Special Talents - if you have a special talent you think the Society can use, please let us know.
Please contact us at NorthCastleHistoricalSociety@gmail.com and let us know how you can help!